1070 Park Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Phone: (203) 366-8241
Fax: (203) 394-6175
Director of Early Learning
- Program Capacity has been increased to answer the community need for childcare slots for children birth to 3 years old.
- Full day care is being offered at several sites that previously only had half day slots
- Division expansion has added to 450 staff jobs.
- Expansion of a new site at Bullard Havens's technical high school provides hands-on opportunities for their students on the Early Learning career track and real life experience at our sites.
- Increased collaborations with Head Start, DCF and EECP, improves the way we identify, and provide services to shared families.
- Thanks to ARRA funds, beautification projects are underway, including new paint jobs, carpeting, signage, and playground surfaces.
- New opportunity to partner with New England Ballet to provide 20 weeks of instruction for 40 children at our largest site. Free ballet shoes were donated for this experience.
- Expansion of our fatherhood initiative, division wide.
- Partnered with community employment effort to provide educational opportunities and learning experiences in early childhood development and potential employment opportunities with ABCD's Early Learning Division upon program completion.
The Early Learning Division has provided quality Early Head Start and Head Start services for 40 years. More than 1,200 children and families are served each day with comprehensive early childhood/family services that include health services, social services, and educational services. Over the years, our staff has been recognized locally and nationally with awards and requests for technical assistance.
- 2003: ABCD Inc. received a Quality Award from the Administration for Children and Families (ACF).
- 2005: ABCD Inc. Early Learning Division was selected by Books for Kids to be a recipient for a new center-based library valued at more than $24,000.
- 2005: ABCD’s Head Start program was the featured program in the Education Development Center, Inc. publication, Exemplary Head Start Mental Health Systems.
- 2007: Met Life Foundation, in collaboration with Reading is Fundamental, Inc. (RIF), selected ABCD to be one of two Connecticut recipients of their 2005 RIF Community Reading Challenge Award. The cash prize was $500.
- 2007-08: ABCD Inc. became the replacement grantee for another Head Start program, increasing enrollment by 361 children.
- 2009: ABCD Inc. again became the replacement provider of early care and education for 100 infants and toddlers when their previous provider relinquished their license.
ABCD’s program was previously recognized by the Administration for Children and Families (ACF) when we were invited to provide training to ACF’s program specialists on the topic of Family Literacy, and again when we were asked to re-organize and operate the Danbury Head Start program for two years. The Early Learning Division has become a statewide resource for programs in need of technical assistance and training and has provided assistance to a number of other Head Start programs throughout the state. Regionally, we were selected to become the pilot site for President Bush’s National Literacy Initiative and one of a handful of test sites nationwide for the National Reporting System for Head Start. Most recently, A.B.C.D. was invited to participate in grants with the State Department of Education and the Bridgeport Board of Education that will result in resource sharing and improved programming. ABCD has been chosen to participate in the nation-wide FACES impact study of Head Start children.
This past year, as in previous years, more than 1,200 children had their vision and hearing tested. They were also tested for lead and anemia, and were screened for developmental delays. As a result, 120 children were identified with special needs and received preventative services from our team of specialists, which includes mental health professionals, disabilities specialists, and services from the Bridgeport and Stratford Boards of Education. We have a full-time in-house health team of that includes two registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, and a registered dietician.
ABCD is also training high school students who are pursuing early childhood education through a partnership with Bullard Havens Technical High School. The partnership gives high school students in the Bullard Havens Early Childhood track hands-on experience in our classrooms. To enhance this experience, ABCD Inc. Early Learning Division has opened two classrooms at this high school. Students are able to experience what it is really like to work in a childcare center during class time each day to increase their knowledge base of early childhood.
The Early Learning Division is always continuing its efforts to provide quality early learning programs, and family centered services to meet the needs of the people in our community.